School Governance Teams
A charter system is a local school system that is operating under the terms of a contract between the local Board of Education and the State Board of Education as provided by the Charter Systems Act.
A charter system provides the opportunity for teachers, administrators, parents, school boards to have greater flexibility to determine the educational needs of students within their district, and requires a certain degree of school level governance in the system.
A School Governance Team (SGT) works collaboratively with the school leadership to offer input into certain decision-making processes.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities of an SGT:
- Shares in school decision-making.
- Acts as ambassador for the school
- Provides input into a school's budget
- Provides input into personnel and allocations
- Participates in the principal selection process.
- Provides feedback on school improvement process
- Evaluates progress on the school improvement plan
- Recommends waivers to enhance flexibility
- Provides input into operations